Saturday 2nd July
10.30am – 11.30am
Perfect for anyone who has just started to ride, currently learning or returning to cycling and feels a little nervous or wobbly on a bike.
Cycling is a great way to move more and get active whilst reducing transport costs and environmental impact. Whether you’ve been referred to us or you are just keen to get out there and get active then we are here to help.
In these sessions we will teach the following skills: (subject to timing and current ability)
- Understanding safety and equipment including helmets
- Carry out a simple bike check
- Pedal without help and stop without help
- Steer the bike properly and make it go where you want
- Brake properly and smoothly, without skidding
- Look all around while cycling
- Control the bike with one hand
- Cycle with consideration for others including vulnerable pedestrians, dogs, etc
- React safely to emergencies and maintain control of the bike
If possible please bring your own bike and helmet, however, if needed please let us know when booking so we can arrange for you to borrow one. Please arrive 10 minutes before the session to pick these up.
You will need to meet your instructor at Northfield Ecocentre. The address is,53 Church Rd, Northfield, Birmingham B31 2LB Map and directions can be found by clicking HERE.
This class is for adults (*12yrs+) who want to improve their confidence and bike handling skills. People learn differently and some take longer than others, you may need to attend more than one session to complete the whole course. Each session is 1 hour long.
This is a group session however due to coronavirus we are taking extra precautions and reducing the number of participants.
*Children must be accompanied by an adult
Your safety is important to us
We’re committed to making your course safe.
- We are following health and safety advice with additional measures and standards also in place
- Course group sizes reduced, social distancing will be maintained throughout sessions
- Hand sanitiser and cleaning products will be provided
- If borrowing a bike, participants will be required to clean all contact points of the bicycle before and after sessions
- Participants must bring a face covering.
- The whole session will take place outside. However, if you need to enter Northfield Ecocentre a face covering must be worn.
- We have a strict cleaning regime in the building and of all equipment.
If you haven’t been emailed a booking confirmation within 24 hours, please contact us.
This course is free, however we do appreciate donations if you are able. Donations from people like you are essential to ensure we can continue our important work across the city.
By booking on this event you accept ecobirmingham’s terms and conditions.