Saturday 30th October
10am – 2pm
Cycling is a great way to move more and get active whilst reducing transport costs and environmental impact. Whether you’ve been referred to us or you are just keen to get out there and get active then we are here to help.
This session takes place on local roads, giving trainees a real cycling experience to build confidence when cycling on the road. Riders will learn where to position themselves and how to deal with other road users and traffic on short journeys such as cycling to work or local shops.
Successful demonstration of National Standard assessment criteria in Bikeability Level 1 is a prerequisite for participation in Bikeability Level 2. This means participants must be able to ride a bike confidently with basic bike handling skills including steering, braking, looking behind while cycling and controlling the bike with one hand. You can book onto a Level 1 course HERE.
At Level 2 you will learn how to safely:
- prepare for on-road cycling
- start and finish an on-road journey
- position themselves on the road correctly
- when riding recognise typical hazards
- let others know what you are about to do
- pass parked vehicles and side roads
People learn differently, and some take longer than others however, generally this session will last roughly 3 hours.
If possible please bring your own bike and helmet, however, if needed please let us know when booking so we can arrange for you to borrow one. Please arrive 10 minutes before the session to pick these up.
You will need to meet your instructor at Northfield Ecocentre. The address is,53 Church Rd, Northfield, Birmingham B31 2LBMap and directions can be found by clicking here.
Please also bring water for drinking, snacks if required and wear suitable clothing/footwear. If it’s raining bring a waterproof and in hot weather please ensure you bring plenty of water and sun cream.
If you have them, bring some gloves. They help you to grip the handlebars better as well as keeping the hands warm.
This class is for adults (*12yrs+) who want to improve their confidence and bike handling skills.
*Children must be accompanied by an adult
Your safety is important to us
We’re committed to making your course safe.
- We are following health and safety advice with additional measures and standards also in place
- Course group sizes reduced, social distancing will be maintained throughout sessions
- Hand sanitiser and cleaning products will be provided
- If borrowing a bike, participants will be required to clean all contact points of the bicycle before and after sessions
- Participants must bring a face covering.
- The whole session will take place outside. However, if you need to enter Northfield Ecocentre a face covering must be worn.
- We have a strict cleaning regime in the building and of all equipment.
This course is free, however we do appreciate donations if you are able. Donations from people like you are essential to ensure we can continue our important work across the city.
By booking on this event you accept ecobirmingham’s terms and conditions.