Tuesday 21st December – 1pm
You are invited to join us for a led ride from Handsworth Park to Birmingham to visit the snowmen around the City Centre. Decorating your bike and festive clothing is optional but encouraged.
Meeting 1pm outside Handsworth Wellbeing Centre, Handsworth Park.
2nd meeting point 1.20pm at the WM Cycle Hire Dock, corner of Trinity Rd/Birchfield Rd – for those needing to borrow a bike. Be sure to register on the app before you arrive HERE.
Leaving promptly at 1pm. The ride will be approx 3.5 miles exploring a great bike friendly route. Starting by riding through the park and wonderful green space before joining a short road section taking us to the A34 Blue Route, a great segregated cycle path all the way to Birmingham City Centre.
We will navigate around the City Centre, find some bike parking and lock up the bikes then take in the Christmas vibes with a social walk around part of the awesome ‘SnowmanTrail’. Lots of photo opportunities, christmassy snack stops and last minute present shopping (we expect to see lots of snowman selfies!)
Led by qualified ride leaders, the ride starts at Handsworth Wellbeing Centre and finishes in Birmingham City Centre. You will need to make your own way home.
This ride is suitable for all the family. Standard two wheel bikes, e-bikes, trailers and non standard bikes are welcome. We want this ride to be as accessible as possible, if you have a non standard bike, trike or similar please let us know so we can adjust the route if needed.
Recommended for ages 8 years plus or those able to cope with the distance and confidant cycling on the road with a responsible adult. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult and must wear a helmet.
As on all our group rides, the pace will be gentle, nobody will get left behind.
People are also welcome to make their own way to the City Centre and meet us for the snowman walk. ETA – Snow Hill Station 2pm. If you are not cycling public transport is the best way to travel, need help planning your journey let us know. contact us.
Things to remember:
- You will need to have your own bike to take part in the ride. Bike hire is available from West Midlands Cycle Hire corner of Trinity Rd/Birchfield Rd (start of blue route) or a Brompton Bike Hire dock in Birmingham City Centre.
- Bike lights for the journey home – the 21st is the shortest day of the year and it will get dark very quickly.
- Please bring a D-lock – We will be locking our bikes up in the City Centre. If you don’t have a lock please let us know when booking and we can supply one for you to borrow.
- Wrap up warm and wear gloves – Click here for our helpful tips on what to wear.
- Bring money to buy snacks and hot drinks (you are welcome to bring your own snacks/flask)
- Rucksack or bike bags – For any last minute Xmas shopping or snacks to take home.
- You will need to make your own way home from the City Centre. Let us know if this is a problem for you and we will do our best to help. contact us.
Places are limited and must be booked. For more information and to secure your place click the book now button below. If you are booking for more than one person please add the correct number of tickets to your cart and tell us the names of all attendees (including children) when booking.
If you haven’t been emailed a booking confirmation within 24 hours, please contact us.
Inspiring positive action towards using active travel for everyday journeys, part of our Brum By Bike project. Find out more HERE. In partnership with ‘The Postcode Lottery’
LED RIDE* – By taking part in this ride you accept ecobirmingham’s terms and conditions.
This is a free event, however we do appreciate donations if you are able. Donations from people like you are essential to ensure we can continue our important work across the city.